How To Make Popeye’S Fried Chicken. Popeye’s Fried Chicken Recipe tastes exactly like the real thing. This recipe on how to make popeye’s fried chicken can brighten up any meal. To make this Popeye’s Fried Chicken Recipe you will need the following.
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons seasoned salt
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 package dry Italian salad dressing mix
- 1 package onion soup mix – (1 1/2 oz)
- 1 package spaghetti sauce mix – (1/2 oz)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups corn flakes — crush slightly
- 2 eggs — well beaten
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 4 pounds chicken — cut up
- Combine first 9 ingredients in large bowl.
- Put the cornflakes into another bowl.
- Put eggs and water in a third bowl.
- Put enough corn oil into a heavy roomy skillet to fill it 1-inch deep.
- Get it HOT!
- Grease a 9- by 12- by 2-inch baking pan.
- Set it aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Dip chicken pieces 1 piece at a time as follows:
- Into dry coating mix.
- Into egg and water mix.
- Into corn flakes.
- Briskly but briefly back into dry mix.
- Drop into hot oil, skin-side-down and brown 3 to 4 minutes on medium-high.
- Turn and brown other side of each piece.
- Don’t crowd pieces during frying.
- Place in prepared pan in single layer, skin-side up.
- Seal with foil, on 3 sides only, leaving 1 side loose for steam to escape.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes removing foil then to test tenderness of chicken.
- Allow to bake uncovered 5 minutes longer to crisp the coating.
- Leftovers refrigerate well up to 4 days.
- Do not freeze these leftovers.
- Leftover coating mix (1st 9 ingredients) can be stored at room temperature in covered container up to 2 months.
This recipe yields 4 servings.