- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 cup half & half
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine flour, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl. Stir to combine.
- Lightly beat the egg in another medium bowl. Add the sugar, butter, and shortening and mix well with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the half & half, milk, buttermilk and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add the dry flour mixture to the wet mixture while beating. Mix until smooth.
- Cover and chill overnight. (You can use batter right away if you like, but a good 12hour chill makes the batter better.)
- Rub a light coating of vegetable oil on a waffle iron. Preheat the waffle iron. Leave the batter out of the refrigerator to warm up a bit as your waffle iron is preheating.
- Spoon 1/3 to 1/2 cup of batter into the waffle iron and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until the waffles are light brown.
- Makes 6 waffles.